Tuesday, August 24, 2010

an ode to bekah

So, this past weekend, I was lucky enough to be able to go home for three days and spend some time with family that I don't get to see very much!  I'll update on the Saturday I spent with them tomorrow, but first, I got to spend Friday with my sister from another mister, Bekah!  We've only known each other well since March (she became the Children's Minister at my church and the rest is history), but since then, we've discovered we're pretty much the same person.  Not only do we creepily write on each other's facebook walls at exactly the same time and listen to exactly the same music (hip hop and Hanson, obvi) and abbreviate colloquial conversation whenever possible, we actually did go to the same elementary school (Walnut Grove) for one year and never knew it!  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, a few yearbook pages after my hot mess first grade picture sits Bekah's hot mess third grade picture.  But it took us fourteen more years to become friends!  It was so, so, so sad to leave her after we shared things like flower headbands...


...and the freaked out voicemail she left me after she met this fine young man (Taylor Hanson, for those born before or after years 1981 and 1991)...


...and the 13-hours-in-the-car road trip she took with me just so I wouldn't be alone as I signed the lease to my new house, which was an absolute nightmare of a drive and put us on backroads of Virginia that had recently been ravaged by a severe thunderstorm.  Also, Bekah had gotten carsick and had to drive my mom's Jeep in order to feel better...


...and then she threw me the mother of all going away parties, complete with food puns and Scattergories.




So, when I realized I had all day Friday free before our beach trip Saturday, Bekah invited me to come to Seminary with her before going to our favorite movie theater and accessories boutique!  Do you think I said no?!?  I especially wanted to go to class with her because one of my old pastors, Steve McKinion, was teaching!  It was a great class for more than just him, though...

a. I drew Bekah a stunningly accurate picture of T-Pain that I should have taken a picture of...
b. Some guy let out one of the biggest farts I have ever heard in the middle of class, and even though everyone heard it, Bekah, me, and "that guy" who always outs the farters (even though he sits forty feet away) were the only ones immature enough to have to spend the next ten minutes stifling our laughter.
c. this picture, sneaked by Bekah's webcam:

 

Afterward, we went to see Dinner for Schmucks, which we highly recommend!  So hilarious!



After joining my mom and me for dinner, we had to say goodbye to Bekah, and it was so sad!  But I love you, sweet friend, and I'll see you again soon!

(Seriously, Braves @ Nationals.  September.  Be there.)




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails