Wednesday, November 10, 2010

granddaddy's trip of honor: the world war two memorial

I've said before that the Jefferson Memorial is my favorite, but of those that commemorate wars, the WWII Memorial is also easily a favorite.  I just love the individual recognition of all the battles, theaters, military branches, and states that made up the US effort, and its sheer size I think is very indicative of the enormous scale of WWII.

I've been doing papers and projects on my grandfather's involvement in WWII since the fifth grade, before this memorial was even built.  So, it was especially touching to finally get to visit it with him.  What I really loved was seeing all the other veterans whose family members had also brought them there on that day, and just like Granddaddy, all of them wore hats signifying under which branch each served.  Even though they all served in different ways and have unique stories, it melted me when two would pass each other and sort of give each other the "nod of understanding," having all witnessed such a major atrocity.  But I'll let the pictures do most of the talking from here...

Washington Monument from the WWII Memorial across the street...






He didn't know it, but Aunt Susan brought along his wings and his baby shoe that he had pinned to his flight jacket during the war.  That was definitely emotional for all of us!




He was born and raised in South Carolina (and was living there at the time), so he had to get a picture representing the Palmetto State!


Granddaddy and his girls...






One of the members of his crew was from California, so we had to snap a picture in front of this one, too!





I decided to put off my "top ten on the tenth" post until Friday, so come back tomorrow for the last bit of this blog trifecta... our visit to the Law Enforcement Officers' Memorial!

3 comments:

Ellie B said...

I remember when you and I went to the WWII monument together for the first time--woo hoo Girls Nation! I still have the picture of us flanking NC :)

p.s. your grandpa is just too cute

Lauren said...

I still have that picture, too! It sits on my nightstand, and I see it every morning!

Parkison Family said...

Very sweet! This made me teary too! Stop! :) I had to watch the SNL skit to get happy again! Hope you are well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails