Wednesday, December 14, 2011

museums with megan

A couple weekends ago, Megan and I decided to do our very own Whirlwind Washington Museum Tour Extravaganza 2011 and hit up all the museums we hadn't been to yet.  (Just kidding, only the important ones.  Going to all the ones we've never stepped foot in would take eons upon eons.  Megan, as it turns out, is leaving ICMA the same day I am, because she's headed back to the great mittened state of Michigan to work on economic development in the western part of the state.  So, we're tag-teaming all of these cram-everything-in-before-you-leave-DC activities.  It just works out great that she happens to be one of my best friends.

First, we went to the Library of Congress (which is actually several different buildings, but we, of course, chose the prettiest one).





Then, we headed over to the Newseum, which we got $10 tickets to, thanks to Groupon!  I had already been before, but Megan hadn't, and since it's my favorite museum, I was all for going back!

Here's a piece of the Berlin wall from the West German side...


And oh look!  MJ!  Megan is a Michigan State fan, so Magic Johnson (who I guess also happens to be MJ) made her happy.


This was a map for an operation to kill a notorious gangster back in the early 20th century, and look at the name under number 2!  Dad discovered this last time we were at the Newseum, so I made sure I took a picture this time.  Such good people, those Winsteads.


One of the best views in DC!





My beloved News and Observer from home.


Turns out the Tar Heels were actually in two states' papers that day!


Not exactly a Tar Heel, but former NC State quarterback Russell Wilson was on the front of Michigan's paper that day!


Probably my favorite picture in the Presidential Gallery.


Twisted wreckage from the top of the World Trade Center's broadcast tower.



Tim Russert's office!


I actually hadn't seen this part last time, but we found Christiane Amanpour's set for This Week on ABC!  Megan is a huge fan of hers, so these pictures are extra hilarious.


"OMG YOU GUYS, THIS IS HER CHAIR!"




She'd be pulling these off if not for that awesome tag over her nose.


I don't think it takes being on TV for me to give someone that look.


Our last stop was the Hope Diamond at the Natural History Museum!  It has a new setting that I don't love at all, but the diamond is still beautiful of course!


So, that was our museum day!  Exhausting, but so, so, so fun!

1 comment:

Bo and Liz said...

#2 is Winstead and #3 is Hollis!!! Two family names represented!

Related Posts with Thumbnails