Wednesday, December 8, 2010

new york city! part two.

Sooo, after we did a little shopping around Rockefeller Plaza, I looked across the street and saw what I still maintain was a retail oasis the likes of which I'll never meet again.  Ladies and gentlemen, the Real Simple Pop-Up Shop!!!!!


It was only there for ONE weekend, and we had found it!  It was basically an empty space that Real Simple had taken over and filled with all the wonderful things from their Holiday Gift Guide.  So, we got to try everything out in person AND got a bunch of free samples!  BEST DAY OF MY LIIIIIIFE (as evidenced by the picture below).



Then, we walked toward Central Park and passed St. Patrick's...


And Atlas...


And all the shops beautifully decorated for Christmas!





The window dressings at Bergdorf's were AMAZING.  David and I were partial to the Ram... wonder why?  ;)


David remembered that this was the building they always pictured as "Chandler's Office Building" on Friends!


Then, we finally made it to Central Park!







We ended up taking a cab from Central Park alllll the way down to Macy's (ok, it's not that far, but it was pretty cold out), and we had the MEANEST.  CABBIE.  EVER.  Usually, cab drivers try to talk to me or find out where the heck my accent is from, but this one straight up YELLED at Molly for getting in on the street side of the car (admittedly wrong, but he was extra rude) and then taking too long to pay.  Also, he drove like a MANIAC, and I had to close my eyes!  But what was funny was that when he finally shut up, he had this really serene Christmas music playing in the car as if he was our sweet old Grandpa.  NOT SO.

Macy's was definitely shoulder to shoulder.  Here's what it was like outside!


But we had a beautiful view of the Empire State Building, all lit up for Hanukkah!


We tried forever and a few days to hail a cab to get us down to Chelsea for dinner, but it was just not working.  So, being a pretty big fan of public transportation systems, I got David and Molly to agree to take the subway!  It was every bit as old and dirty as everyone says, and we are lucky to have the DC Metro.  But I still thought it was charming, and I kind of loved it!


We finally arrived at Molly's favorite restaurant in the entire world... Cafeteria!  As soon as we walked in, I knew it had also been featured in a scene on Sex and the City, and I had another little freak out sesh!  Aside from that, though, the food was seriously INCREDIBLE.  It's basically gourmet Southern food, but it is to die for.  Molly had stuffed chicken, David had meatloaf, and I had a turkey burger with avocado on it.  Amazing!  Definitely go if you ever get the chance!


I made sure I ordered coffee while we were there so I could be alert to drive the whole way back... and I did it!  I was so proud of myself for getting in and out of super-crowded New York and driving the whole way by myself!  The radio and an extra Cafe Mocha in Edison, NJ did the trick.  What's nice is that the New Jersey turnpike separates cars and trucks, so the drive is SO low-stress.  And yes, I did fist-pump pretty much the entire way there, for those of you who watch and love Jersey Shore

I really, really, really can't wait to go back!  I do heart NY.

2 comments:

Ellie B said...

And NY hearts you!!!

xoxo

Leanna said...

did you visit Jimmy Fallon and do the Jimmy Fallon dip together?

Related Posts with Thumbnails