Thursday, December 9, 2010

republican national committee christmas party

Ok, I know people say this alllll the time, but if you had told me a year ago that I would get to go to the Republican National Committee Christmas Party (and meet Michael Steele in the process), I would have told you you were Luna bars but that I loved you anyway.

Well, since my lovely roommate, Clara, hit the proverbial job jackpot and got to work at the mothership right out of college, she got to bring a friend to the RNC Christmas Party last night, and that friend got to be ME!!!  Oh my goodness, I had sooooo much fun!  All of us had heard so many stories from Clara about her coworkers and the crazy things they did leading up to the elections (not the least of which I wrote about here), so it was great to actually meet these people in person.  They're all so much larger than life, and they're hilarious!  But, I guess you have to have an intense sense of humor to pull out a serious Republican congressional win two years after one of the most decisively Democratic presidential elections in history.

The party was held at Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar just south of the Capitol, so I just took the Metro over after work.  It was a beautiful restaurant with amazing appetizers and wine, so I definitely want to go back!

Here's a picture of Clara and me last night...


And then.  THEN.  The Chairman of the Republican National Committee, Michael Steele, arrived, and Clara asked if I wanted to meet him.  Ummmm, DUH!!!  So, we walked over, she introduced me, and he was honestly one of the nicest people I've ever met.  He's really tall, so he's inherently intimidating, but he's very good at making you feel like you have his full attention, and he asked me all about my job, about Raleigh, and he told me he has a son at Elon University.  Y'all know I really wanted to take a picture with him, but I just couldn't do it this time.  Concerts?  Yes.  Private Christmas parties I'm lucky to even attend?  No.  So, this picture of him will suffice for those of you who aren't quite sure you know who I'm talking about...


Oh my goodness, I'm still starstruck.  Thanks so much, Clara, for taking me with you!!!  Reason #45,768 why I love living in DC.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails