Monday, October 3, 2011

I just have one question...

How many Pirates does it take to come up just short of a first down?


Just one, but it takes three Tar Heels to get to the bottom of why the heck his team trash talked all week just to roll over and take it like a possum on an eight-lane highway.

I thought watching that game would be the most exciting part of my weekend, but since ECU showed up in a Purple Daze, the movie I saw with my friend, Alex, yesterday was actually more fun!  She, Molly, and I met at a church in Court House one random weekend, and we instantly bonded over her super adorable Vineyard Vines dress.  And then, it took us all of two minutes to realize we were from the same part of Raleigh, our parents live five minutes from each other, and we have some mutual friends from home.  Ca-razy!

She suggested we see Courageous, which is actually a Christian film written and produced by members and pastors of Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, GA.  It revolves around four police officers who witness daily the tendencies of youth and adults in their community who grew up fatherless to either commit crimes, do poorly in school, or simply repeat the cycle of half-hearted parenting that they experienced as children.  After one big tragedy rocks their friendship (I won't ruin it for you), they make a commitment to not only be better fathers, but to be accountable both to God and to each other.  It sounds super corny (and at times, it is), but I don't believe I've cried like that in a movie theater since My Dog Skip, because animal suffering will make me cry 99.99999% of the time, and human suffering, maybe 10% of the time.  Go figure.

In my work, I deal daily with the statistics that back up the impact of fatherless homes on children, so I think Christian or not, this film is important to see and will hopefully influence the significance we place on active fatherhood.  Will it win an Oscar?  Definitely not.  Probably won't even get nominated.  But it had enough police drama to make me cover my eyes a couple times and decent enough acting for me to feel something.

Here's the trailer in case you're interested!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails