Wednesday, October 27, 2010

my (almost) party favors

I still can't believe I did this.  I drove to Raleigh last Friday afternoon to start preparing for Amanda's shower, and I decided it would be fun to give out party favors at the end.  But I don't do little boxes of candy... that's way too easy and cliche.  I have a small obsession with mason jars, so I decided, at 99 cents each, the favor needed to involve a mason jar.  Soon, the whole idea came together...

First, I filled each jar with about twelve jumbo marshmallows.


Then, I lashed together three cinnamon sticks with twine, leaving quite a bit of twine on either side of the sticks.


Next, I printed a recipe for Cinnamon Hot Chocolate using "scraps" of 4"x4" off-white cardstock and some fun fonts from dafont.com!  I punched a hole in the corner of each one.


Then, I threaded one side of the twine through the hole and tied the ends in a bow around the jar.


TA-DAAA!  Easy, inexpensive party favors, and I got all my supplies, except the marshmallows, from AC Moore!


Here's the bad part: I totally forgot to give them out!  So, now I have about twenty marshmallow-filled mason jars sitting in my room, but I figure I'll either pass them out to my coworkers as Christmas gifts or I'll write a Bible verse on the back and pass them out to my neighbors.  Either way, they're not staying here!

And if you're interested in the recipe, here it is!

Cinnamon Hot Chocolate

Ingredients
1 ¾ cups nonfat milk powder
1 cup icing sugar
½ cup cocoa
½ cup nondairy creamer
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ cup hot milk
As many marshmallows (jumbo or itty bitty) as you like!

Preparation
In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together milk powder, sugar, cocoa, creamer, and cinnamon.  Gently stir in marshmallows.  Pour Cinnamon Hot Chocolate mix into an airtight jar.  Can be stored in a cool, dry place for about three months.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails