Wednesday, October 20, 2010

winner winner chicken dinner

Our office has been pretty quiet this week since most of our staff members are at our annual conference in San Jose, so our HR team has gone above and beyond to show those of us left behind a good time!  Today, we had a big Mexican fiesta provided for lunch, and tomorrow, we're doing a Staff Scavenger Hunt, where we have to find the coworker who has worked there the longest, the coworker who has been published, the coworker with the highest SAT score, etc. 

Anyway, Monday's contest was a Sentence Slam where we were all emailed six random words and had to email back a sentence containing all six of them within ten minutes.  Then, everyone got to vote on the submitted sentences and the biggest vote-getter won a gift card to Au Bon Pain.  If there's one thing with which I'm obsessed, it's sentence structure and WORDS.  Seriously, I knew all my letters before I was two, and I still shudder when I read poorly constructed sentences.  So, I figured, of all the contests we have going this week, this one could be mine.  Here are some copies of the emails we got:



Ok, so given these words, most people came up with sentences about Silicon Valley and all the green innovation that takes place there.  For instance, here were a couple of the sentences:

 - The skies are sunny and the grass is green; it is an extraordinary day in Silicon Valley, where innovation and diversity thrive.

 - On sunny days, companies in extraordinary Silicon Valley devote their lives to innovation, diversity, and green building progress.


Maybe I'm just messed up in the head, but as soon as I saw the word, "silicon," I couldn't think of anything but boob jobs.  I need to stop watching The Bachelor.  So, here was my sentence.

 - In sunny, green California, one extraordinary silicon innovation, which knows no diversity, has kept both the Jersey Shore and the Playboy Mansion happy for decades.


I had to have one of my team members read that sentence to make sure I wasn't going to get fired for submitting it to HR, but it turns out it was a hit!  One of the HR ladies even voted for me!  So, now I'm the proud owner of a $20 gift card to Au Bon Pain... yum!  I'd like to thank Snooki and Hugh Hefner.

3 comments:

Bekah said...

"I'd like to thank Snooki and Hugh Hefner." You're a mess...but HOORAY for winning!

For the record, I totes immediately thought about boobs, too! Yay you!

Bo and Liz said...

I'd like to thank Florida "writes upon request" for you literary success.

Parkison Family said...

:) That's funny, because that is first thing I thought of when I saw the word silicon...maybe I have been around too many pageant girls!

And now I know you shutter at my sentences. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails