Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I'm 24!

It's my birthday!  And, as it turns out, August 9 is not one of our proudest days in history...


Also, Hurricane Belle slammed the Eastern Seaboard, the U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki, and Jerry Garcia died.  But I happen to share my birthday with Whitney Houston, Hoda Kotb, Deion Sanders, and Smokey the Bear. And that rogue JetBlue flight attendant ceremoniously quit his job by grabbing a couple beers and sliding down the inflatable escape on my birthday last year, so we'll call it a success.

For the second half of my family's visit this past weekend, we headed to the Newseum, which I had wanted to visit for a while!  It's one of the few museums in DC that's not free, but that keeps it from being overly crowded, and it is absolutely worth every penny.  They've filled seven floors with the history of the news, Pulitzer Prize-winning photographs, exhibits on how the news has brought some of the most horrifying and fascinating events of the past 250 years into our living rooms, and even a Wolfgang Puck lunchroom that is just delicious!  Everyone should go.  And best of all, your ticket is good for two consecutive days, so you don't have to try to see it all in one day (and unless you're crazy like us, you probably wouldn't want to)!

Entrance to an exhibit with thousands of old newspapers...


The 9/11 exhibit.  This was a piece of the antenna that was on top of the World Trade Center after it had been moved from the Empire State Building.


How the world covered 9/11.  It really is hard to believe it's been ten years, because I still feel like that devastated 14-year-old.


One of the best parts of the Newseum is the balcony overlooking Pennsylvania Ave!



Segway tour, anyone?


So, there you have it!  Our weekend!  I'm so glad they were able to come visit and gave me an excuse to be a tourist in my own city... it was a blast!

Now I'm gonna go be one year older.  :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails